PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : What dialect?

{655321}-Hades
2003-12-26, 10:31:32
Hi there.

It would be interesting to know which dialect of English you speak (not your own).

(what)American dialect? English dialect? Indian dialect?

I've learned an english dialect earlier in school, but then I have been in the USA for 3 months, when I came back my teacher hated my pronunciation ;D

In school they try to give us a feeling for other dialects now, we even listened to Indians who where speaking english since they where born. Damn, I didn't understand one word!

And you?

Gast
2003-12-26, 15:48:09
Generally a British accent speaking is taught at school. An most of the important tests (i.e. Cambridge Advanced English etc.) are based on the British Pronunciation.

According to the school system my own accent is rather British, but my writing is completely American (harbour -> harbor). And in spoken language I've got a slight New Zealand influence due to a Month's stay there.

patermatrix
2003-12-26, 15:50:28
Hate those cookies...

/\
|
My post up there.

Lunar_Gate
2003-12-27, 01:46:20
At school they try to teach us the british pronunciation.

Due to a lot of time spent in IRC-channels etc. I speak completely AE! Our current teacher speaks BE, AE and some of the irish dialects. Sounds.....complicated!^^

nggalai
2003-12-27, 11:14:03
Hola,

I'm constantly drifting from RP to Australian to West Coast, back to RP. Depends mainly on the kind of people I hang out with, and the amount of alcohol imbibed. *eg*

-Sascha.rb

Gast
2003-12-27, 15:31:27
Original geschrieben von nggalai
I'm constantly drifting from RP

Never heard of it... what kind of accent is this?

nggalai
2003-12-27, 22:34:28
Hola,

RP is short for "Received Pronunciation" English--the term "received" as used in the late 19th century: "commonly accepted to be the best," "the most refined," or simply: "the way it's supposed to be."

Many people call it Oxford English (which is quite wrong; the dialects of Oxfordshire don't have much to do with RP), BBC English or "School English." It's the sort of English you'd expect the Queen to use, or the badie in a pre-80s US movie. To most Americans, that's what a "British accent" sounds like. ;)

-Sascha.rb

Shao-Domi
2004-01-07, 06:08:44
I was told by my friends that I speak a little Canadian. I've been to a Canadian summer camp for five years and worked there for three, so it might be actually true. Canadian is my favorite English, clear and precise. But the funniest Accent is by far the Australien. I cannot hide a little smile when I talk to my Australien friends (who I met in Canada by teh way ;) ). Maybe that's why they like me, because I always smile while talking to them. :)

RP is also funny when you talk to the people, but it becomes kinda strange when you here politicians talking, sounds a little arrogant to me, I can't help it.

Gast
2004-01-07, 21:14:03
Original geschrieben von Shao-Domi
I was told by my friends that I speak a little Canadian. I've been to a Canadian summer camp for five years and worked there for three, so it might be actually true. Canadian is my favorite English, clear and precise. But the funniest Accent is by far the Australien. I cannot hide a little smile when I talk to my Australien friends (who I met in Canada by teh way ;) ). Maybe that's why they like me, because I always smile while talking to them. :)

RP is also funny when you talk to the people, but it becomes kinda strange when you here politicians talking, sounds a little arrogant to me, I can't help it.

Well, I love Canada and your words make me kinda sad, 'cause I've never been there before, just in the "ordinary" USA . But I can't hide the suspicion of being fouled by you. Not, that I ain't grudge you these experiences, but instead of writing hear, you used a typical german fault (here). Probably just a mistake, but a strange, indeed.

Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot, the spoken english in these IRC channels is simply trash. Go read a book or crab some fresh air and don't cope your IRC english with some real english dialects.

Shao-Domi
2004-01-08, 04:04:32
dammit! :D That mistake was because of, uuhm, writing too fast... :stareup:

But I have to say that IRC English ist almost an own dialect, just a bad one. And it is not spoken, so just "almost" a dialect. ;)

Gast
2004-01-10, 09:22:11
I love australien accent ;)

Since I work in Taipei I got used to the american accent which I adopted aswell. But to speak with chinese people I always need to change a little to a "simple speaking" by using wrong grammar to make them understand ;)

Gast
2006-01-27, 10:16:49
In school they try to give us a feeling for other dialects now, we even listened to Indians which where speaking english since they where born. Damn, I didn't understand one word!
ye, indians are idd quite funny to listen to :) - but since we have quite alot of indians in our company (mainly programmers), i somehow got used to it ^^

btt: i surely am far away from any "clean" accent, but maybe "english-american-swiss-english" would be the best description :p

cedman
2006-01-27, 10:17:52
ye, indians are idd quite funny to listen to :) - but since we have quite alot of indians in our company (mainly programmers), i somehow got used to it ^^

btt: i surely am far away from any "clean" accent, but maybe "english-american-swiss-english" would be the best description :p

why the hell wasn't i logged in?

Marscel
2006-01-27, 20:08:10
I try to speak and write as British as possible.

Don't ask for reasons, I simply prefer it, that's why I'm listening willingly to BBC and I'm detesting CNN. ;)

fi.suc
2006-01-27, 22:45:14
i love indian dialect but i am actually speaking some kind of british/american mix...actually more british than am.

greetz

Gast
2006-01-28, 04:29:03
yes... ich spreche deutsch, learning deutsch... (i speek german). :D

Mr Will Rock
2006-01-29, 16:49:08
I speak some kind of middle English accet, basically because i grew up near Manchester... Well, not actually grew up, but it always was a second home with a second family to me. Unfortunately i feel more at home in Derbyshire than in Cologne ;(

Grobblin
2006-01-29, 19:16:46
Hi,

the dialect in the north US doesn't sound like a dialect to me at all. I can imitate the Southern States a little bit. The Native's dialect here in Wisconsin is pretty much 0. I don't think there's a difference between natives and others here.

Greetz form the US
Grobblin

Pompos
2006-03-16, 22:31:55
I'd say that I talk in quite a german accent :( And I'll probably never lose it.

Gast
2006-03-16, 22:49:17
Hi there.

It would be interesting to know what dialect of english you speak (not your own).

(what)American dialect? English dialect? Indian dialect?

I\\\'ve learned an english dialect earlier in school, but then I have been in the USA for 3 months, when I came back my teacher hated my pronunciation ;D

In school they try to give us a feeling for other dialects now, we even listened to Indians which where speaking english since they where born. Damn, I didn\\\'t understand one word!

And you?

I´m not amused - ;) _Of_course I studied Oxford-English @ school. :D Later, I had an native english speaking girl friend from South Africa and she told me: You speak dialect free english. I just thought: Yässs. Löng-John is always speaking the right language... (sry for kidding folks, but she told me). :)

IF you´ve got problems with your pronunciation, just set your adjustments with a little help from Helga: http://vwfeatures.com/

darph
2006-03-17, 15:23:58
you used a typical german fault (here).

Uhm.. hit me if I'm wrong, but don't you make mistakes rather than using them? ;) A usage would imply some sort of intention, methinks.

I don't even know what my accent comes closest to, but thanks to the movies I would say it's US/Canadian english. But depending on who I am talking to I can easily shift my accent to what I am hearing. It happens quite naturally.

I do have a problem with common british dialects though, as used by some sky news reporters. It's harder for me to understand than HK-britisch english for example.

Grobblin
2006-03-19, 16:55:50
I don't even know what my accent comes closest to, but thanks to the movies I would say it's US/Canadian english. But depending on who I am talking to I can easily shift my accent to what I am hearing. It happens quite naturally. Where/how did you get that ability? Just from watching movies? I have been in the USA since August now and I still have an accent :(

darph
2006-03-20, 00:32:06
Where/how did you get that ability? Just from watching movies? I have been in the USA since August now and I still have an accent :(Yes, I have only been to an English speaking country for two days (England). I didn't say one wouldn't hear that I am German. Although my teacher used to say that I have a good articulation I guess I will never sound like a native speaker.

Gast
2006-04-11, 05:26:18
...I have been in the USA since August now and I still have an accent :(
If you really want it - feel it. I think, the time you start dreaming in english, that´s the time you´re really into it and you´re able to speak it freely. But be careful, at that point it was time for me to leave this language (neither wanted to get clother) - i was afraid to loose myself and my "dialect free hochdeutsch". So probably, this could be the reason why your innerself says "no", don´t go further. Ask yourself to get an answer.

Coda
2006-04-15, 00:55:56
I don't think you can "loose" your mother tongue accent. The accent of a human is formed while being a baby, so I think it's rather the case that you will never have a perfect english accent.

A friend of mine is in the USA at the moment working as an au pair and I can't distinguish her spoken english from native speakers, but she told me that they do in fact hear the difference.

Braincatcher
2006-08-02, 17:55:40
I don't think you can "loose" your mother tongue accent. The accent of a human is formed while being a baby, so I think it's rather the case that you will never have a perfect english accent.

A friend of mine is in the USA at the moment working as an au pair and I can't distinguish her spoken english from native speakers, but she told me that they do in fact hear the difference.

I disagree. My brother has now already been living in the south of England for two years and he told me that when he e.g. applied for a job there nobody noticed a difference, and a good friend of mine spent a year in the US and she said that people there didn't realize any difference as for the pronounciation

Deathrid3r
2006-08-03, 00:59:40
I suppose it depends to a certain extent on how much you are good at articulation in general und if u have a natural ability to easily pick up and speak languages.
Of coure, the younger you are, the easier it is to learn a language without an accent. And I guess there is always space for improvement, but i'm not sure whether it's worth it. I've benn in GB for 2 years, still have some Accent, but it got much better already :P
It's a neverending story...

Maki
2006-09-03, 15:20:22
Sorry for answering so late.
I try to speak a very clear English. Not the German style like Marlene Dietrich in her English speaking movies. You can comapare my the accent with the one Alan Rickman (Prof Snape) spoke in Harry Potter.

Slikslak
2006-09-03, 16:04:49
I speak British English, which i learned in school years ago!!:biggrin:
Cause in austria we learn british english!!:biggrin:

slaughty
2006-09-04, 19:59:46
I speak a mix of BE and AE :)

But when take a look at the topic, shouldn't it be "Which dialect"?

Gast
2006-09-12, 13:06:12
hi.....i can speek englisch,,,,,,wat are u speeking? :)

(del)
2006-09-15, 16:00:28
It's really hard to judge yourself - particularly the sound of your own voice. Because I used to live in a small town in the US, I've acquired some sort of an american accent.
After my return to Germany, this mixed with a bit of a german accent again. Now I live in France, but I'm not really sure if this will also affect my pronounciation.

Klot
2006-09-21, 20:53:32
Well, I got an German accent (which Im trying to get rid off) with Australian vocabulary. Since Im watching lots of American movies I sometimes get an "American" "rrr" sound into the pretty correct Australian pronounciation, especially when I got a fairly high alcohol level.

Xanatos
2006-09-21, 22:16:59
sry, but Australian correct pronounciation sounds rather funny:biggrin:
I know one who says "rid" instead of "red" ;D