PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Schlechte Festplatten Performance WDPlatte/Nforce2 Kombi

Gast
2004-04-12, 18:05:14
Hallo,

eigentlich war ich immer WD Käufer, vermutlich weil bisher keine meiner Platten dieses Herstellers Probleme bereitete.

Eines war nur irgendwie schon immer so, die Platten waren nie so schnell wie sie eigentlich hätten sein müssen.

Bei Kollegen und im Freundeskreis scheint diese Kombination ganz egal ob mit Nvidia IDE Treiber oder ohne ebenfalls in einer schlechten Festplattenperformance aufzufallen.

Meine 40 GB WD zum Beispiel:
zum benchen verwende ich hier jetzt den im neuen IDE Treiber integrierten speed test da er am ehesten zu Vergleichszwecken für diese Plattform taugt (davon abgesehen stimmen die Werte aber mit allen anderen Tools überein deswegen kann man sich das schenken).

Theoretical Limit: 100.0
Burst Speed: 86.4
Sustained Speed: 27.7

Letzteres sollte afaik zwischen 30 und 42 liegen.
Die WD Seite ist nicht sonderlich hilfreich im Forum gibts einige Threads über schlechte Performance mit Nforce2 Boards jedoch ohne helfendes Fazit, genau wie im Nforcershq.com forum.

Was sagt ihr dazu?

bluey
2004-04-12, 18:14:00
Also ich hab ebend diesen Test mit hilfe der nforce2 IDE Treiber gemacht:

Burst Speed: 77.6
Substained Speed: 46.9

Festplatte ist eine Western Digital 80 JB mit 8MB Cache.

Madkiller
2004-04-12, 18:15:40
Bitte ein paar mehr Infos ;)
Welches Board?
Welchen IDE-Treiber und welches nForce2-Treiberpacket?
Wo ist die Platte angesteckt? Am PATA, oder am SATA mit Adapter?

Gast
2004-04-12, 23:12:15
Es ist anscheinend absolut egal was ich für ein system habe, ich habe gearde noch mal einen genaueren Blick in die WD Foren geworfen... hier ein paar Auszüge:

http://websupport.wdc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2098

WD Forum
I recently contacted WD on this issue, and they basically said they haven't published any benchmark results, so the performance can't be determined by any benchmark they know of. What a bunch of morons. They told me to go to toms harware and compare my benchmarks with thiers. Now, you know old tom's is nothing but advertising now and I don't trust them. On top of that, I have run a slew of different benchmarks, different controllers, stripe size etc., so I'm fairly confident if they all say the same thing, there is something wrong. The reason they don't reply is that they don't know what the issue is. I can tell you one thing though, I have heard that the 36GB raptor has the largest % RMA of any drive WD has sold, so you know something is up. The other issue is the firmware on the drives cannot be updated - what a bunch of idiots.

WD Forum
"The reason they don't reply is that they don't know what the issue is."

Actually, the reason they don't reply is because of something in the industry known as a "Class Issue". A Class Issue is basically a flaw, a bug that is so bad; it affects the entire product line. Usually these issues are not easily, or at all, fixable other than a complete replacement. Once they make a formal announcement that the problem exists, and then EVERYONE wants to return the product, including those whose particular units just happen to not be faulty. The reason this happens is because they are afraid that, even though there is no problem now, there might be in future.

In these cases, companies could avoid most of this by simply doubling the warranty. Give them a solid eight to ten year replacement warranty if they will keep the product they already have and are not exhibiting the problem.

I usually buy Maxtor drives, and looks like I should have in this case. I understand that bugs occur. I can accept that. But I refuse to accept a company who will not take their blame and responsibility and instead choose to act like con-artists who promise you one thing and then give you another. Shame on you Western Digital, you are only hurting your brand name.

http://websupport.wdc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2087

WD Forum
It's based on what I have read and my own testing. Try reading up through Storagereview.com, they have a mix of honest reviews. The article I like best is how WD submitted craptors for review with optimized firmware. The optimization would reduce the life of the drive significantly. Then, after they got blazing fast reviews, the actual production models were manufactured without the optimization, so they would last out the warranty period. Where did this come about ? I'll tell you. After Storagereview posted a bragging review of the raptors, a lot of thier readers invested in them. It didn't take long for those readers to determine that they could not reach anywhere near the benchmarks that storagereview claimed. Why ? I just told you. I guess the bottom line here is you are right in one aspect, there probably isn't anything wrong with the craptors themselves. The bottom line is, they are no faster than any other 7200RPM 2MB cache drive. The reason I went with them, was based on storagreview and tommmyboy's hardware testing. But had I known that WD was providing them a tweaked product, not the actual production model, I would have never wasted my time with them.

WD Forum
It's based on what I have read and my own testing. Try reading up through Storagereview.com, they have a mix of honest reviews. The article I like best is how WD submitted craptors for review with optimized firmware. The optimization would reduce the life of the drive significantly. Then, after they got blazing fast reviews, the actual production models were manufactured without the optimization, so they would last out the warranty period. Where did this come about ? I'll tell you. After Storagereview posted a bragging review of the raptors, a lot of thier readers invested in them. It didn't take long for those readers to determine that they could not reach anywhere near the benchmarks that storagereview claimed. Why ? I just told you. I guess the bottom line here is you are right in one aspect, there probably isn't anything wrong with the craptors themselves. The bottom line is, they are no faster than any other 7200RPM 2MB cache drive. The reason I went with them, was based on storagreview and tommmyboy's hardware testing. But had I known that WD was providing them a tweaked product, not the actual production model, I would have never wasted my time with them.

Es ist anscheinend nur so das die WD Platten Modelle mit um die 40GB eher langsam sind aus welchen Gründen auch immer... :(

Werde meine 2 jetzt wohl umtauschen, hat mich nur gewundert was es sein könnte aber wenns halt die Platten sind.