PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : grrrrrrrammar

darph
2004-07-27, 12:11:27
Double negation in English - put an emphasis on the negation oder does it delete the negation?

"Don't smoke no grass"
or
"We don't need no education"

nggalai
2004-07-27, 14:17:54
Officially, double negation simply is grammatically "wrong". Hence, it depends on the speaker/recipient relation what was originally intended.

In my experience, it's mostly used in non-formal discussions to further and stress one's point.

-Sascha.rb

Marcel
2004-07-29, 00:28:53
Besides the wall, I don't remember no occurance of a double negation, but my feel for language (dict.leo.org says: "sprachgefühl" is an english word, too! :o ) tells me the same as Sascha did to you - I'd always assume that it is used to stress the negation. But as he's better in english than me, you should trust him, not me. =)

Gast
2004-08-05, 13:58:25
It doesn't delete the negation at all, but, as nggalai said, it's complete nonsense with regard to its grammatical structure.

As I experienced it, it's mostly used as some "slang expression" to stress one's coolness. Think of it as a part of the "gangster language".

And, in no way, try using it in written language.

nggalai
2004-08-05, 14:25:09
Original geschrieben von Gast
As I experienced it, it's mostly used as some "slang expression" to stress one's coolness. Think of it as a part of the "gangster language".

And, in no way, try using it in written language. LOL ;D

Well said indeed. Write this stuff down and you'll die ... in 7 days. ;)

-Sascha.rb