PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : cheese role - what does it mean?

D3aDl0cK
2005-02-18, 20:35:37
i have a question about what "cheese role" means.

I couldnīt find any translation into (idiomatic) german,
so i would be very glad seeing one of you explaining it to me.

zeckensack
2005-02-20, 14:02:26
More context please.

In an acting context it might refer to a role in a play or movie that noone wants. Cheese is very much like in German. I.e., besides the obvious possibility of referring to food, it can be used to mean "bad", "silly", "cheap", "undesirable" etc.

D3aDl0cK
2005-02-20, 14:27:01
sorry,
unfortunately i do not have any context.

But your explanation sounds good.
Thanks a lot !

Benedikt
2005-03-12, 12:30:07
sorry,
unfortunately i do not have any context.

But your explanation sounds good.
Thanks a lot !

It seems very likely to me, that it's a clerical mistake and should mean "cheese roll", or something like that.
Plz correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Elrood
2005-03-14, 13:54:45
It seems very likely to me, that it's a clerical mistake and should mean "cheese roll", or something like that.

I reckon its a simple typo.

I thought about a "roll" as well when I read the topic. According to google, this would be the more likely alternative.
The well known "ham and cheese roll" is some typical fast food which I saw a lot of times during my year in australia.

D3aDl0cK
2005-03-14, 15:27:29

Itīs no mistake, the word in question was indeed "cheese role".
A friend of mine had to translate it and the explanation above seemed to be appropiate.
Anyway , thank you guys!

upĶē
2005-03-15, 19:48:44
what about 'say:"cheese"- role'
cheesing v 1. to smile widely. Origin: the standard photographer command "Say cheese!" used to elicit smiles. ("When he saw her he started cheesing.")

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/c.html :wink: