PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : HDR auf der PS2? Oder doch nicht...

Jesus
2005-10-03, 18:35:16
http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61021

Eurogamer: On the technical side, Spartan's impressive. Hundreds of people on screen, in a total - er - war. What's intriguing to use is that how that games, even this late in the software cycle, are visually impressive. Last time, PS1 games were looking distinctly shoddy. But not the PS2 Spartan: Total Warrior...

Clive Gratton: It's interesting - and Sony is going to love me for this. I'm not even being facetious. Stop me if I'm going too techno, but there's a number of sub-processors in Sony's PS2. And there's one which no-one uses ever: Vector-unit Zero. Sony engineers, they'll continually say "Use Vector Unit Zero. The secret to speed is User Vector Unit Zero". And no-one does, as no-one can find a decent use for it. And the secret is, I have.

I'd written the framework for the game, the display engine and the AI. All of that during pre-production. And then we got the rest of the team on board, who didn't really know what they were getting into. I'm constantly, throughout the entire project, cracking the whip to make thing works faster, better, smaller, faster, FASTER! Any bits of code which were taking too long, I'd first sit down and look at them algorithmically. If it was doing too much work, I'd write a load of hand coded assembly language. A large chunk of this game is written in hand coded assembly language on the vector units. It's... a miracle of technology!

For example, everyone's talking about High Dynamic Range for next generation platforms, and we've got it running on PS2

Die gelbe Eule
2005-10-03, 18:39:22
Sieht nach Bloom aus ...

TheCounter
2005-10-03, 18:39:31
Schön und gut. Aber ich möchte nicht wissen mit welcher Genauigkeit (VLDR? :ugly:) und schon garnicht möchte ich wissen mit welcher Geschwindigkeit ;)

EDIT:

Grad mal die Bilder angeguckt. Sieht wirklich nach Bloom aus. Aber wohl eher weil die ganzen Details durch das Blenden verloren gehen. Sieht fast so aus wie der Bloom-Effekt bei BiA auf X-Box/PC (wobei er da nicht ganz so krass war), hab den zumindest noch so in Erinnerung.

Demirug
2005-10-03, 20:41:41
Ich kenne das Techpaper dazu. Das ganze als HDR zu bezeichnen erfordert wirklich eine sehr großzügige Auslegung des Begriffs. Es ist aber auch kein reines Bloom weil sie sowas wie dynamisches Tonemapping haben.