PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Should it be 'English Forum' rather than 'english forum'?

mf_2
2006-02-28, 13:03:10
Hey everybody,

I know it's not the most important thing in the world, but I have been wondering about this for a little time now. This forum is titled 'english forum'. I'm almost 100% sure that the word 'English' has to start with an uppercase letter. However, I'm not so sure about the word 'forum' but I believe when it's used as a title for something, it has to be capitalized, too. Can a mod please change the title? Or am I all wrong and the words are indeed to be lower case letters only. That, however, would surprise me a lot and I don't think that's the case at all.

MrSeanKon
2006-03-16, 13:36:41
In my opinion you are right --> I agree.
BTW I wish some subcategories in English spoken section. :smile:

Gast
2006-03-16, 21:34:04
Hey everybody,

I know it's not the most important thing in the world, but I have been wondering about this for a little time now. This forum is titled 'english forum. I'm almost 100% sure that the word 'English' has to start with an uppercase letter. However, I'm not so sure about the word 'forum' but I believe when it's used as a title for something, it has to be capitalized, too. Can a mod please change the title? Or am I all wrong and the words are indeed to be lower case letters only. That, however, would surprise me a lot and I don't think that's the case at all.

I think you´re right! In my opinion it should be written with uppercase letters because its a headline.

...BTW I wish some subcategories in English spoken section.

Which ones would be most important for you?

fi.suc
2006-03-16, 21:54:23
not only because it's a headline, also because English is always written in capital letters, isn't it?

Gast
2006-03-16, 22:18:12
Hey everybody,

I know it's not the most important thing in the world, but I have been wondering about this for a little time now. This forum is titled 'english forum'. I'm almost 100% sure that the word 'English' has to start with an uppercase letter. However, I'm not so sure about the word 'forum' but I believe when it's used as a title for something, it has to be capitalized, too. Can a mod please change the title? Or am I all wrong and the words are indeed to be lower case letters only. That, however, would surprise me a lot and I don't think that's the case at all.

ähem...I just recognized that: The title of your thread should be: Shouldn´t it be English Forum rather than english forum?

@BL|zZard: I thought about Newspaper-Headlines e.g.. But, of course, you could be probably right! ;)

mf_2
2006-03-17, 14:36:45
I adjusted the thread title accordingly. BTW: There is no 'ä' in the English language! :D The word 'ähem' doesn't exist in the English language. Anyway, they still haven't changed the title of the forum.

Sephiroth
2006-03-18, 20:16:31
Hey everybody,

You are right, it should be written with capital letters because it's a headline and a part of the tables of contents.

Gast
2006-03-23, 22:48:03
I adjusted the thread title accordingly. BTW: There is no 'ä' in the English language! :D The word 'ähem' doesn't exist in the English language. Anyway, they still haven't changed the title of the forum.

Thx for correcting german UMLAUTE (do you know an english word for that?) :D

...but as you can see, they changed the title...nice. :)

Ladyzhave
2006-03-23, 22:53:49
Thx for correcting german UMLAUTE (do you know an english word for that?) :D

...but as you can see, they changed the title...nice. :)
Umlaut heisst auf Englisch auch "umlaut", ist wie mit dem "kindergarden" ;)

Gast
2006-03-23, 23:08:08
Umlaut heisst auf Englisch auch "umlaut", ist wie mit dem "kindergarden" ;)

Hey thanks!

Fortunatly i do speak german ( ;) ), but could you please translate your sentence to the rest of the world?! :)

Marscel
2006-03-24, 20:30:34
Fortunatly i do speak german ( ;) ), but could you please translate your sentence to the rest of the world?! :)

He said that the word "Umlaut" in German is the same as "umlaut" in English, similar to "Kindergarten" and "kindergarden"

Gast
2006-03-25, 15:43:56
or sauerkraut and hinterland^^

cabrak
2006-03-25, 16:20:27
do such words exist in english?
i don't really believe it :rolleyes:

Letis
2006-03-25, 17:54:50
sauerkraut indeed does. as well as "gedanken experiment" :D. I'm not sure about hinterland though.

hyperterminal
2006-03-25, 18:44:07
The word "hinterland" really exists in English:
http://dict.leo.org/?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&relink=on&sectHdr=on&spellToler=on&search=hinterland

eXodia @ away
2006-03-25, 23:17:09
that`s the same with:

- Poltergeist
- Schadenfreude
- Zeitgeist

Regards

Marscel
2006-03-26, 01:25:35
There are still a few words in English taken from the German language.

So there is no reason to complain about too many Anglicisms in German. ;)

Letis
2006-03-26, 14:30:39
gesundheit :D

Marcel
2006-04-04, 16:20:56
sauerkraut indeed does. as well as "gedanken experiment" :D. I'm not sure about hinterland though.
The word "Hinterland" is used for several areas in eastern Australia, for example the Gold Coast Hinterland (the mountains east of Surfers Paradise).
And down under they even use "kindergarten" rather than "kindergarden". And "Schnitzel".

mf_2
2006-04-05, 20:59:04
'Blitzkrieg' also exists in the English language. I wonder why they don't call it 'lighting war' or 'lightning warfare'?

Letis
2006-04-05, 22:14:43
Thats cause the Germans invented the Blitzkrieg ;(

zeckensack
2006-04-06, 03:44:14
You are right, it should be written with capital letters because it's a headline and a part of the tables of contents.Not only that. You'd always write "English" with a capital e, as you do with all other references to countries/languages ... it's exactly the same thing with mostly the same reasons as it is with names.
(I know that I don't capitalize my own name here ... let's just call it artistic freedom)