PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Is this phrase grammatically correct?

Gast
2006-03-11, 11:45:27
Hello, I am a pupil from Germany and I´m preparing for the Abitur right now.

In German one can often find sentences like:
Seine Gefühle wurden von etwas begleitet.

A way to express this in English would be :
His feelings were accompanied by something.

But actually I don´t like the verb to accompany.
When I read Jane Austen I noticed that she often uses "attended by" instead of "accompanied by" which I personally regard as a much better expression.
Unfortunately my Oxford Dictionary didn´t list them as synonyms.
So what is opinion about it? Is "attended by" possible as well?
In addition to that does anyone know a good expression of the German "geprägt von/durch"? I found "stamped", "shaped" and especially "moulded" not very fitting.
I appreciate your help.
Ugor

Fatality
2006-03-11, 11:57:06
"His feelings was shadowed by something"

Gast
2006-03-11, 12:08:37
Your advice means: His feelings were followed and watched (similar to observe) by something.This is not what i want to say. Thanks anyway.

Fatality
2006-03-11, 12:19:35
mmh so i would say "attended by", too

and

geprägt von .. -> to be affected by ..

is conventional.

Gast
2006-03-11, 13:02:40
I believe that there are numerous ways to paraphrase "geprägt von" and your suggestion of using " affected by " is a very simlple and effective one that eluded me. And i figured out that "attended by" is really possible :

" Attended by (formal):to be with somebody and help them (begleiten).
The president was attended by several members of his staff."
Thanks God! I used this expression several times in my last english test and at first I had a really good feeling about it, but then I started doubting the correctness of this expression.

zeckensack
2006-04-06, 04:02:51
In addition to that does anyone know a good expression of the German "geprägt von/durch"? I found "stamped", "shaped" and especially "moulded" not very fitting.
I appreciate your help.
UgorInfluenced.
Passive forms are very common in German but often feel clumsy in English, worse so in more complex expressions. Don't be afraid of restructuring sentences. It makes for much better style.

E.g. "His music is strongly influenced by him living next to a cucoo ranch" vs "The cucoo ranch in his neighbourhood has been a strong influence to his music".

Seine Gefühle wurden von etwas begleitet.I don't get it, not without more context.
I can guess though. If it's something like "Seine Gefühle wurden von Trauer begleitet", that's gibberish, semantically, and probably a semi-poetic stylistic device. I really wouldn't bother much in that case.

Care to give a more complete example?

Hakkerstiwwel
2006-04-06, 09:53:38
Influenced.
Passive forms are very common in German but often feel clumsy in English, worse so in more complex expressions. Don't be afraid of restructuring sentences. It makes for much better style.

ACK

I don't get it, not without more context.
I can guess though. If it's something like "Seine Gefühle wurden von Trauer begleitet", that's gibberish, semantically, and probably a semi-poetic stylistic device. I really wouldn't bother much in that case.
Care to give a more complete example?
As suggested by you, I agree that there is not one single word in English to translate this sentence. Better would anyway be to describe the effect like:
Hatred troubled his emotions, or Pride cheered his emotions.
As you can see, as a general rule I would as well prefer to replace "feelings" by "emotions".
In only extraordinnary circumstances, I could use: his feelings/emotions were mixed with sth
Best Regards

Gast
2006-04-06, 20:15:30
Abi ist vorbei und Englisch lief astrein! Danke an alle!