PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Words/terms which (seem to) have similar meanings

Konami
2006-10-07, 17:06:08
Hi everyone,
I thought it might be a good idea to create a topic for everyone who isn't sure of how to use two or more different words/terms, e.g. if he doesn't know if they really mean the same, and if not, how exactly to use each one.
You can list the words/terms you'd like to read up on here, and there'll certainly be someone who can help you (... I hope).

Of course, I've got this problem myself ATM -- concerning "meat" and "flesh". I've heard both words several times, and I have the dim feeling that each one has its own context where it's used best, but I have no idea where exactly.
Maybe ... "Meat" for the stuff most people like to eat, and "flesh" rather for 'living meat', such as a "flesh wound"? Like I said, just a dim feeling.

It would be nice if you could help me and this might become some kind of collection thread for everyone with problems like mine (... if this sub-forum is visited well enough).

Gast
2006-10-08, 21:11:13
"Flesh" is just the same as German "Fleisch" and can be used in nearly all the ways it's used in German (e.g. to flesh out, flesh and blood, flesh of fruits).
"Meat" only refers to the flesh of animals used as food, although "flesh" may also be used as a substitute in that context.

Konami
2006-10-08, 23:22:55
Okay, thanks, that makes sense.

Deathrid3r
2006-10-09, 01:34:27
Hmmm...are you sure?

"That girl is just meat for me" or with other words,i don't care about her personality...I think i've heard that sentence before :P

Gast
2006-10-09, 12:39:22
Hmmm...are you sure?

"That girl is just meat for me" or with other words,i don't care about her personality...I think i've heard that sentence before :P
It's metaphorical. If you butcher an animal for it's meat you obivously don't have any feelings about it. The same goes for the girl.

Deathrid3r
2006-10-09, 16:58:41
Fair point. Guess that maks sense...