PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : My video card collection's website - The Golden Era of 3D Acceleration

[TGA3DX] Tim
2009-05-04, 02:04:07
Hi,

Some of you might know me on here, some not.

My name is Timber (or Tim for short) and I’ve been collecting video cards for quite some time now. Back in December I decided to make a website for my collection. It’s called The Golden Era of 3D Acceleration, and it covers all high end graphics cards from the very beginning of 3D in 1994, to 2003. The site contains many retail cards and also some very rare pieces of hardware, including prototypes.

This is purely a hobby, I’m not a 3D professional in any way, I’ve just got a big passion for 3D acceleration, games, and the hardware that runs them.
My goal is to keep this part of early 3D acceleration alive, sort of like a hardware museum if you like.

I don’t particularly like websites that are a work in progress, but I had to choose from either showing my collection already, or wait a long time for all the info on the cards to be completed.

Please have a look, and let me know what you think of it, either on here, or via tga3dx@gmail.com

The main picture gallery is under “The Collection – Golden Era” and then select the appropriate year.

www.tga3dx.com

Thanks! :)

Sentionline
2009-05-04, 02:42:27
Nice and very clean area. Take it clean and i will come often. And many more from here to you.

Looks great 4 me :up:

Armaq
2009-05-04, 11:14:36
Really decent web-page. I like the idea and your presentation. Keep going.

urbi
2009-05-04, 11:39:42
Your collection is quite impressive. :D

Hackschmatz
2009-05-04, 11:49:39
For my opinion there are not enough informations for the graphic cards. Only the name and the chip. Maybe you can write, how many Vram the card have, the prices and the specialities like core clock, memory clock and so.

Gast
2009-05-04, 12:13:14
Read the .nfo, some Card have detailed information about clock speed and such. [im not TGA3DX].

As for the website, maybe you can look for free website hosting. Your site is basicaly only hosting .jpg and some links to youtube. I don´t know if this can help to reduce the cost of running a website.

Overall nice collection, it´s funny to see Need for Speed 3 at 640x480. Is the CRT used a "newer" one or not. The Dot per inch on that crt is really good, even on my old CRT [´97] 640x480 looked "strange".

Have to test my crt at 640x480 again, maybe i´v too much "TN-Panelitis" in my blood....

[S.F.M.E]

Gast
2009-05-04, 12:31:00
I found some wrong entry on the 1997 cards, chip manufacturer for the Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme CT6610 is 3Dlabs, not Matrox.

Gast
2009-05-04, 13:58:53
For my opinion there are not enough informations for the graphic cards. Only the name and the chip. Maybe you can write, how many Vram the card have, the prices and the specialities like core clock, memory clock and so.

There is some info on it cards, but it takes a very long time to add information, especially since I almost have got no spare time. :)

Read the .nfo, some Card have detailed information about clock speed and such. [im not TGA3DX].

As for the website, maybe you can look for free website hosting. Your site is basicaly only hosting .jpg and some links to youtube. I don´t know if this can help to reduce the cost of running a website.

Overall nice collection, it´s funny to see Need for Speed 3 at 640x480. Is the CRT used a "newer" one or not. The Dot per inch on that crt is really good, even on my old CRT [´97] 640x480 looked "strange".

Have to test my crt at 640x480 again, maybe i´v too much "TN-Panelitis" in my blood....

[S.F.M.E]

I can't use free hosting, I need more then 10Gb a month (in the last 12hours, I already used over 6Gb lol, and the site is only 66Mb or so!)

The CRT isn't very good unfortunately, but it was all I had at the time, it's a cheap Dell. 17"

I found some wrong entry on the 1997 cards, chip manufacturer for the Creative Graphics Blaster Exxtreme CT6610 is 3Dlabs, not Matrox.

Fixed that, I have no idea why that was in there, really weird. Ofcourse it's 3Dlabs! Danke!

[TGA3DX] Tim
2009-05-04, 14:00:48
(Sorry wasn't logged in)

Zitat:

There is some info on it cards, but it takes a very long time to add information, especially since I almost have got no spare time.

[S.F.M.E]

I can't use free hosting, I need more then 10Gb a month (in the last 12hours, I already used over 6Gb lol, and the site is only 66Mb or so!)

The CRT isn't very good unfortunately, but it was all I had at the time, it's a cheap Dell. 17"

Fixed that, I have no idea why that was in there, really weird. Ofcourse it's 3Dlabs! Danke!

Crazy_Borg
2009-05-04, 15:25:34
A Glaze 3D!!! :eek:
You got a Bitboys Glaze 3D?
That's awesome!

Great site by the way.

[TGA3DX] Tim
2009-05-04, 19:10:27
A Glaze 3D!!! :eek:
You got a Bitboys Glaze 3D?
That's awesome!

Great site by the way.

Yes I do, straight from Mika Tuomi, no silicon ever materialised though, but the PCB was there! (albeit unfinished) :)

The Avalanche3D is one of 5, this one is the only one outside the company. :)

Spasstiger
2009-05-04, 19:21:38
Beautiful collection, you've got some really rare stuff. But a Voodoo 5 6k seems to be missing yet. It's a good investment these days. ;)

[TGA3DX] Tim
2009-05-04, 21:32:29
Beautiful collection, you've got some really rare stuff. But a Voodoo 5 6k seems to be missing yet. It's a good investment these days. ;)

It is indeed, unfortunately a "bit" of out my budget. :tongue:

Modulor
2009-05-04, 21:51:55
Great collection! :up:
I am really surprised to see that the Bitboys stuff really made it into PCB! :eek:

Another card that lacks:
The Hercules 3D Prophet 4800 with KYRO 2Se!
You´re already seeking...

Marc-
2009-05-04, 22:12:30
Tim;7275816']Hi,

Some of you might know me on here, some not.

www.tga3dx.com

Thanks! :)

Great Collection and a nice review of what i also see as the "good old times".

Just one thing i am very much missing:
For me and in my memory of that exciting time the mother of all 3dfx graphic boards: the diamond monster 3d, the first (in germany easily) available, with a great package of patched games (including mechwarriors and a nfs special edition) absolutely out of the box working drivers, great compatibility from the beginning and easy installation.
And as i remember also THE gamer card of that time and the most with commercials pushed card.
For those who had the joy to have this card first hand (specially combined with a real good 3d card like the ET6000) it will always remain an unforgettable moment where the name spoke for itself: it WAS really a 3D MONSTER.

[TGA3DX] Tim
2009-05-05, 12:22:35
Great Collection and a nice review of what i also see as the "good old times".

Just one thing i am very much missing:
For me and in my memory of that exciting time the mother of all 3dfx graphic boards: the diamond monster 3d, the first (in germany easily) available, with a great package of patched games (including mechwarriors and a nfs special edition) absolutely out of the box working drivers, great compatibility from the beginning and easy installation.
And as i remember also THE gamer card of that time and the most with commercials pushed card.
For those who had the joy to have this card first hand (specially combined with a real good 3d card like the ET6000) it will always remain an unforgettable moment where the name spoke for itself: it WAS really a 3D MONSTER.

I agree, it was one of the best 3dfx cards out there, and one of the first as well. Maybe I will get one as well.

I like the Orchid, everytime the card is accessed, two resistors on the board go "click click", so that you know your'e using the card, very much fun! Imagine having that on your 280 GTX lol.

Gast
2009-05-05, 14:15:29
I like the Orchid, everytime the card is accessed, two resistors on the board go "click click", so that you know your'e using the card, very much fun! Imagine having that on your 280 GTX lol.
The 285 GTX doesn't need this feature. In certain circumstances these cards produce a sweet chirping like a bunch of crickets. It's not a "bug" but a feature. So you will know everytime when the card is under full load. :D

[TGA3DX] Tim
2009-05-05, 17:24:43
The 285 GTX doesn't need this feature. In certain circumstances these cards produce a sweet chirping like a bunch of crickets. It's not a "bug" but a feature. So you will know everytime when the card is under full load. :D

Are you sure? My 8800 had that feature too! :D :D

-=[SP]=-DRE@MER
2009-05-06, 11:15:44
Very Very Nice collection

[TGA3DX] Tim
2009-05-22, 12:22:22
Due to the feedback received on the initial, tricky to use menu, I've changed the navigation menu from 2 drop down boxes to one. The main gallery is accessed by clicking on the "Golden Era" link from the "The Collection" drop down box.

From there you can select which year you want to look at.

Hopefully this will make browsing a tad easier and less confusing for newcomers, and easier to use. Please let me know if you think so. :)

I should be getting a lightbox soon, to take some more professional pictures of the cards.

http://www.tga3dx.com/Golden-Era.html