PDA

Archiv verlassen und diese Seite im Standarddesign anzeigen : Are there actually any native speakers?

DocEW
2003-09-19, 02:27:50
Just curious... =)

Lost Prophet
2003-09-19, 02:56:05
I think it's a little too optimistic to expect native speakers here already, only hours after this board opened. Unless they speak german too and are already posting here.

cya, axel

DocEW
2003-09-19, 03:00:51
I did not expect them to be here right *now*...
But let's see what impact the CineFX article has. =)

Gast
2003-09-19, 03:10:39
Only time will tell, tho it might actually help to translate the Halo Preview and one of the Threads about it. But I guess that would attract too much ppl from the Gearbox forum and would result in posts we don't want here. Any suggestions what else could be done to catch some attention?

mapel110
2003-09-19, 03:12:58
if i got the time, i will do a engl version of the half life 2 review =)

Lost Prophet
2003-09-19, 03:13:56
Original geschrieben von DocEW
I did not expect them to be here right *now*...
But let's see what impact the CineFX article has. =)

The problem in my opinion is that we've already had the main impact of the article at a time where this board didn't exist and the comment-thread was spammed into in German.
And there is a lack of a direct link to this forum / comment-thread at the end of the article ("Discuss this article here!", click)

But this article will not remain the only good (and translated) article here, I'm confident that it'll work out mid-/longterm-wise.

cya, axel

betasilie
2003-09-19, 04:10:50
John Clark (?) is a native speaker, afair. I have not seen him here for a time, but i bet he will find the way to this forum, if he returns.

Liquaron
2003-09-19, 06:50:37
Mhh a really nice forum guys!!

I have an english LK now.
So maybe this invention will help me a little bit.

We will see!

Ps: For me its unusual to write in english on a pc.
Its harder i think.
Is this only my problem? Or do you feel like me?

Gohan
2003-09-19, 07:32:56
its not harder, you are only not used to do it ;) If time comes, it will become easyer, trust me. The first time for me was very hard to, but that is long ago ^^

bubi
2003-09-19, 08:18:04
Original geschrieben von Gohan
its not harder, you are only not used to do it ;) If time comes, it will become easyer, trust me. The first time for me was very hard to, but that is long ago ^^

"easier" is the word you mean i think.

Ich think no other language is so much spreaded and known as english.

But polish would be still another good alternative :D

egdusp
2003-09-19, 08:43:17
Original geschrieben von Liquaron

We will see!

Its harder i think.
Is this only my problem? Or do you feel like me?

I think it should be called English A-course.

(eh, what's the English term for "mfg"?)
egdusp

bubi
2003-09-19, 09:23:22
Original geschrieben von egdusp
I think it should be called English A-course.

(eh, what's the English term for "mfg"?)
egdusp

with best regards (wbr) ???

I don´t know, but yours sincerely or yours faithfully is another way to finish a post. But i think those terms are more usual for letters and so on.

zeckensack
2003-09-19, 09:33:20
Try using "cheers" :)
More correct forms (ie more direct translations) would be "regards" or "best regards", but that may be too formal.

DocEW
2003-09-19, 10:58:36
We're all a little bit off topic, aren't we? ;)
But well... otherwise this thread would probably be dead instantly. So just go ahead! =)

Endorphine
2003-09-19, 10:58:47
Original geschrieben von DocEW
Just curious... =) Nöpe :D This is just a new Board where we can all together show our bad skills in written English ;D

zeckensack
2003-09-19, 11:15:48
Original geschrieben von Endorphine
Nöpe :D This is just a new Board where we can all together show our bad skills in written English ;D You mean, we use this forum as some sort of a practice room until we find a real use for it? :D

Endorphine
2003-09-19, 11:19:15
Original geschrieben von zeckensack
You mean, we use this forum as some sort of a practice room until we find a real use for it? :D IMHO this forum will always be like a practice room while the forum software stays at german interface...

[dzp]Viper
2003-09-19, 11:29:21
IMHO this forum will always be like a practice room while the forum software stays at german interface...

yeah - i hate the german board interface ... its so ... german .. *help*

But its really really great, to have an english board now :)

zeckensack
2003-09-19, 11:33:46
IMHO this forum will always be like a practice room while the forum software stays at german interface... I hate the German interface. It was much more comfy when it was still 'international'. Why did it have to be changed anyway?

Endorphine
2003-09-19, 11:37:18
Original geschrieben von zeckensack
I hate the German interface. It was much more comfy when it was still 'international'. Full ACK. Original geschrieben von zeckensack
Why did it have to be changed anyway? IIRC it changed while Leonidas updated the forum software to release 2.3.0.

The search function is still out of order - someone still knows the forum-language thread?

DrumDub
2003-09-19, 12:00:51
Full ACK. IIRC it changed while Leonidas updated the forum software to release 2.3.0.

well, afair the language was chagend cause leonidas wanted to be patriotic (just kidding). ;D

The search function is still out of order - someone still knows the forum-language thread?

i remember this thread and i think there were quite a lot people who did support the idea of briniging the english-language buttons back. i for my part don't care. or are you thinking of different thread?

Kai
2003-09-19, 13:19:58
Original geschrieben von Gast
Only time will tell, tho it might actually help to translate the Halo Preview and one of the Threads about it. But I guess that would attract too much ppl from the Gearbox forum and would result in posts we don't want here. Any suggestions what else could be done to catch some attention?

lol, I don't think this would be a good idea. We just got over this and I don't wanna do it ones more, especially not in english ;D

Endorphine
2003-09-19, 13:36:16
<:kicher:>
once more
</:kicher:>

;)

Tigershark
2003-09-19, 13:50:13
Btw. hey, we`ve got one native speaker - err... or something like that, i assume ^-^.
Came to Germany a long time ago, but it`s still amusing to see "Denglisch" in written form ;)

You all know the famous terms of that language, do you ?
Stuff like "I believe you have she not more all" or "I think you are on the woodway" - who didnt laugh about those ? :D

The funny thing about that is that some "curious" terms actually apply to english for real, i.e. "I`m not in the picture" (who would`ve thought that, but it`s rather...umm...colloquial)....

So, i think this is a very good idea and a nice feature to have, although i certainly do agree with that flag-discussion about it being semi-usa and semi-british, but....nevermind :)

DrumDub
2003-09-19, 14:13:57
Original geschrieben von Tigershark
Btw. hey, we`ve got one native speaker - err... or something like that, i assume ^-^.
Came to Germany a long time ago, but it`s still amusing to see "Denglisch" in written form ;)

You all know the famous terms of that language, do you ?
Stuff like "I believe you have she not more all" or "I think you are on the woodway" - who didnt laugh about those ? :D

The funny thing about that is that some "curious" terms actually apply to english for real, i.e. "I`m not in the picture" (who would`ve thought that, but it`s rather...umm...colloquial)....

So, i think this is a very good idea and a nice feature to have, although i certainly do agree with that flag-discussion about it being semi-usa and semi-british, but....nevermind :)

well, that's absolutely right. without idioms the neglish language is quite boring although it's quite difficult for the partial english speaking people to get along with those. but the same goes for german while being much more difficult to learn in the first place. :)

but another annoying thing that confuses me sometimes are those false friends like "sensibel" which means sensitive and not sensible in english.

Tigershark
2003-09-19, 14:47:37
Original geschrieben von DrumDub
well, that's absolutely right. without idioms the neglish language is quite boring although it's quite difficult for the partial english speaking people to get along with those. but the same goes for german while being much more difficult to learn in the first place. :)

but another annoying thing that confuses me sometimes are those false friends like "sensibel" which means sensitive and not sensible in english.

Definitely :D

I still remember learning the use of "der, die, das" instead of one single article :) And then there also is some similarities like "kindergarden" or "kaput"... ah, spelling is slightly different, but well.... The sensitive - sensible thing is one of the more complicated ones, right.

Germans also tend to say "I`m fed up" when they actually mean "Ich habe genug" or "Ich bin satt" - just had a funny experience in England with a friend of mine who said so after dinner - imagine the faces of our hosts..... :D

Braincatcher
2003-09-19, 18:54:42
Well, you know, I take the view that it's kind of too optimistic to expect native english speakers in this forum for the simple reason that it just came to existance.
Correct me if I'm wrong.:D

Asuka
2003-09-19, 20:56:18
Original geschrieben von Liquaron

We will see!

Its harder i think.
Is this only my problem? Or do you feel like me? Ouch... if writing in English causes you so much problems, you really shouldn't have taken the Expert degree (LK) English course ;)

As for me, no problem at all. I've been reading (and posting to) English newsgroups (and also forums) since many years already, so I'm completely accostumed to it.

Gast
2003-09-20, 01:58:53
Congratulations!
Here is a little IE-plug in that'll check english spelling =)
ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer (http://www.iespell.com/)

cu
up

Abdul Alhazred
2003-09-20, 06:02:28
You could consider me a native English speaker. Although I wasn't born in an English speaking country, I grew up under the English school system and studied in the USA... So, there's one of us, at least... ;)

GarretWork
2003-09-21, 10:05:00
Hmm....that's a nice forum. Maybe my English skills will get better. I also have an AC in school and it's really not easy. For all in my course.
cya

Braincatcher
2003-09-21, 10:11:59
Original geschrieben von GarretWork
Hmm....that's a nice forum. Maybe my English skills will get better. I also have an AC in school and it's really not easy. For all in my course.
cya

As I noticed, it really improves public speaking skills.:)

Asuka
2003-09-21, 14:01:25
Original geschrieben von Gast
Congratulations!
Here is a little IE-plug in that'll check english spelling =)
ieSpell - A Spell Checker for Internet Explorer (http://www.iespell.com/)

cu
up Nice... but a spelling bee like me doesn't need them stuff :stolz:

dr_prot0n
2003-09-23, 21:19:30
Original geschrieben von Asuka
Nice... but a spelling bee like me doesn't need them stuff :stolz:
yeeaah, dem stuff!!1 looks like we have dem' jamaican forum 'ere gimme dem dreads!!

dr_prot0n
2003-09-23, 21:20:44
Original geschrieben von Braincatcher
As I noticed, it really improves public speaking skills.:)
fuck that, only *live*-speaking improves your speaking skillz, 'tard!;) everyone knows!;D

nggalai
2003-09-23, 21:39:13
Original geschrieben von Abdul Alhazred
You could consider me a native English speaker. Although I wasn't born in an English speaking country, I grew up under the English school system and studied in the USA... So, there's one of us, at least... ;) That's more than I can claim on my part. I grew up in Switzerland, but surrounded by Australians (add funny accent here), Scottsmen (add incomprehensible accent here), as well as a few people keen on RP. Hence my rather, err, unique accent and language pragmatics. In London pubs, people think I'm from Manchester, in Mancunian pubs people think I'm from Oxford, and don't even ask where Australians or, Gods forbid, Americans put me on the Global English scale . . . not pretty.

I am still not too sure whether I should feel flattered or dismayed at that Canadian bloke thinking I'm from Phoenix, either.

In short: please, everybody, don't mind my phrasing. Or orthography, for that matter. ;D

-Sascha.rb

twister
2003-10-03, 17:57:13
hi, just signed up. i just guessed with most of the buttons, so if something looks weird, it was just an accident. i'm in toronto, canada. is everyone else here in germany?

Asuka
2003-10-03, 18:47:41
Original geschrieben von twister
hi, just signed up. i just guessed with most of the buttons, so if something looks weird, it was just an accident. i'm in toronto, canada. is everyone else here in germany? Hi there! :D Don't be afraid, we don't bite =)
As for the buttons - here's a translation by me:
http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95280#post1214974

So you come from the home of Ati? Cool! :up:
Is it far from Toronto to Markham where the Ati HQ is?

Braincatcher
2003-10-03, 19:47:58
hi, just signed up. i just guessed with most of the buttons, so if something looks weird, it was just an accident. i'm in toronto, canada. is everyone else here in germany?

Hello twister! :)
I take the view that one third of all 3DCenter Members are germans, the 2nd third is austrian and the 3rd is swiss. But I'm glad that also other nationalities sign up in our Forum.=)

twister
2003-10-03, 22:46:02
thanks for the translations. yes, ATI is about 15 minutes north of toronto. i'm using a radeon 9000 with 128 mb ram and it runs great. i'll check in from time 2 time. bill.

nggalai
2003-10-03, 22:50:12
Hi bill,

well, welcome to the 3DC forums, then. :) Short question--how did you find us?

-Sascha.rb

Asuka
2003-10-04, 00:01:31
thanks for the translations. yes, ATI is about 15 minutes north of toronto. i'm using a radeon 9000 with 128 mb ram and it runs great. i'll check in from time 2 time. bill. Cool =) Did you already visit them once?

-X-
2003-10-04, 05:51:00
Nice... but a spelling bee like me doesn't need them stuff :stolz:

will you please shut up, you lil show-off?:D by now, everybody should know 'bout/of your english-skillz:-P.(it's been a long time i used to speak english, but this is a great opportunity, to regain ma power:D)

twister
2003-10-04, 22:37:57
hi again. i actually don't remember how i got here but i do remember that i was searching for something about win xp. as for ati, i have driven past the building a few times, but there was no reason for me to go inside.
so, what kind of things do people usually talk about here?
do you know if anyone else here is from canada or the u.s. ?

Natnael
2003-10-05, 11:34:01
Original geschrieben von mapel110
if i got the time, i will do a engl version of the half life 2 review =)

LOL

Jagdpanther
2003-10-05, 12:57:31
Original geschrieben von nggalai
Hi bill,

well, welcome to the 3DC forums, then. :) Short question--how did you find us?

-Sascha.rb

hmm.

what about a poll? ;D

registered users could poll about some questions.

1. wherefrom question (some slected countries should be sentenced)

2. where found out about 3d-center (link, tip from friend, randomly found by surfin´the net, pointed searching for articles by e.g. google, ..)

should be quite usefull for 3d-center and interesting for everyone.

greets

Savant
2003-10-07, 14:24:12
Wawooo an english forum in the 3dcenter ;-)
I have got an FCE and was for one year in britain so it is an nice opportunity for me to practise my worse english skills....
so long Savant

Amarok
2003-10-07, 18:13:34
hi again. i actually don't remember how i got here but i do remember that i was searching for something about win xp. as for ati, i have driven past the building a few times, but there was no reason for me to go inside.
so, what kind of things do people usually talk about here?
do you know if anyone else here is from canada or the u.s. ?
I think you are the only member from oversea here...

A long time ago a russian guy visited our Website, (but not for a long time --> THX god :D)

Asuka
2003-10-07, 19:57:19
Original geschrieben von Savant
Wawooo an english forum in the 3dcenter ;-)
I have got an FCE and was for one year in britain so it is an nice opportunity for me to practise my worse english skills....
so long Savant Yes, you really ought to practise your English skills, as there are plenty of mistakes in your reply ;)
(I know, spelling flames are lame, but this one simply screams for it :asshole: )

Corrected stuff in bold:
Wahoo, (<-comma) an English forum at 3DCenter ;)
I have got a FCE and have been in Britain (or better: the UK) for one year, (<- position, added for, comma) so it is a nice opportunity for me to practise my more than bad (or: very bad) English skills...

This totals to 13 mistakes, so a bit of practice would do good ;) We don't want do scare away our first native speaker, do we?

@twister
Well, as the name 3DCenter already says, we primarily talk about 3D vga cards, but also other PC hardware, and even other stuff =)

Savant
2003-10-08, 01:17:43
Mhh okay... ;-)

Jagdpanther
2003-10-08, 22:47:40
@Asuka

That´s a spiteful way to show Savant that he´s not very well versant with the english language. :O

I think in forums of .com homepages (english language) people also often post, who are not as good in english speech as they should be, but they are accepted.

Their opinions or questions are always discussed or answered with respect.

Nevertheless he has written that his english is not at his best.

:asshole:

Asuka
2003-10-09, 00:13:17
Original geschrieben von Jagdpanther
@Asuka

That´s a spiteful way to show Savant that he´s not very well versant with the english language. :O

I think in forums of .com homepages (english language) people also often post, who are not as good in english speech as they should be, but they are accepted.

Their opinions or questions are always discussed or answered with respect.

Nevertheless he has written that his english is not at his best.

:asshole: Well, ok, but it sounded to me as if he was bragging that he was already one year in the UK and that he got a FCE, and then he delivers such a pitiful English that makes his aforementioned things extremely improbable... so it itched in my fingers to write a reply :asshole:
No offense intended, but you really should be careful what you brag about ;)

Xmas
2003-10-09, 03:59:32
Corrected stuff in bold:
I have got a FCE
I've seen that one done wrong soo many times... it's "an FCE", because FCE is pronounced as beginning with a vowel ;)

Lost Prophet
2003-10-09, 05:58:59
Original geschrieben von Xmas
I've seen that one done wrong soo many times... it's "an FCE", because FCE is pronounced as beginning with a vowel ;)

I'd say both ways are correct because although it is a shortcut, "First" does not begin with a vowel.

@ xmas und asuka im speziellen: korinthenkacker ;-)

cya, axel

Asuka
2003-10-09, 19:56:05
Original geschrieben von Purple_Stain
I'd say both ways are correct because although it is a shortcut, "First" does not begin with a vowel.

@ xmas und asuka im speziellen: korinthenkacker ;-)

cya, axel Indeed! Saying "an First..." would be horribly wrong! :kotz:
"First" does clearly neither start with an vowel, nor is it pronounced as starting with a vowel!

That's "smartass" ;)

Ntropy
2003-10-09, 23:51:50
Yes, you really ought to practise your English skills, as there are plenty of mistakes in your reply ;)
(I know, spelling flames are lame, but this one simply screams for it :asshole: )

Corrected stuff in bold:
Wahoo, (<-comma) an English forum at 3DCenter ;)
I have got a FCE and have been in Britain (or better: the UK) for one year, (<- position, added for, comma) so it is a nice opportunity for me to practise my more than bad (or: very bad) English skills...

This totals to 13 mistakes, so a bit of practice would do good ;) We don't want do scare away our first native speaker, do we?

/smartass-mode on ...and have been to Britain...

What a great idea, who needs to go abroad for visiting a language school when we can learn all the bad (and baddest ;D ) German- and Swiss-English here right inside our beloved 3dc-forum? :-)

twister
2003-10-10, 04:51:02
hi..since i'm new here, i'm not sure if my opinion counts very much, but there seems to be a lot of flaming over the use/abuse of the english language. i agree that sometimes
the spelling is wrong or the grammar is incorrect, but i can understand what's being said. i think trying, even if incorrect,is better than not trying at all. just my 2 cents. cheers, bill.

Lost Prophet
2003-10-10, 06:45:39
hi..since i'm new here, i'm not sure if my opinion counts very much, but there seems to be a lot of flaming over the use/abuse of the english language. i agree that sometimes
the spelling is wrong or the grammar is incorrect, but i can understand what's being said. i think trying, even if incorrect,is better than not trying at all. just my 2 cents. cheers, bill.

you're perfectly right, just some here want to show off their superior english skills (doesn't exclude myself completely :D). nothing really wrong with that imo, but not really appropriate.

cya, axel

Asuka
2003-10-11, 01:08:56
Original geschrieben von Ntropy
/smartass-mode on ...and have been to Britain...

What a great idea, who needs to go abroad for visiting a language school when we can learn all the bad (and baddest ;D ) German- and Swiss-English here right inside our beloved 3dc-forum? :-) Indeed... looks like I overlooked one mistake in Savants post :embara:
With that, it makes a total of 14 mistakes :asshole:

@twister
Of course your opinion counts, why shouldn't it?

-|NKA|- Bibo1
2003-10-12, 17:30:28
Ok, i'll come out of the closet ;-)
I'm a Briton. I was born in Germany . Spent 2 years in a britsh army primary school, then my dad left the army and decided to stay here. So, into the german school system i went, and now i speak/write/talk/think/shit both languages !
I know a little bit of french , but what's the use if you haven't got a girl anymore ;-).
I'll have a look here every once in while.
gtg
Bibo1

Savant
2003-10-13, 17:47:40
@asuka
well then "speak" a bit german...